Monday, March 15, 2010

Being Your Own Boss

My mother and I have ventured into the world of online retailing on Etsy this past January. We've been around for almost 3 full months now and it has been an experience for sure! I love Etsy, its a great community. Some things buyers want and ask for are a bit silly and I don't agree with, but because of the nature of Etsy and the immense community, its hard to micromanage what buyers and sellers do on there.

However!

I think it is a great place to start. I've been twirling the idea of being my own boss for quite a LONG time now. I most definitely want to officially start my freelance graphic design, but with any freelance or business venture- you get out of it what you put in. Meaning: I need to treat this like gainful employment. I need to get my butt in gear, spend 6-8 hours a day working on samples, advertising, and networking. Because if I don't treat this like a real job I am not going to make any money.

I've been treating this more or less like a hobby and if I make money from it then AWESOME! But I do need to make some real money here. I'm a stay at home mom and that is a job in itself! I'm proud of what I'm doing at home and I love taking care of my family. But being in a one income household (and that one income being less than stellar), times get tough and it would be nice to have a cushion and not live paycheck to paycheck.

That and being in school takes a big chunk of time from my hands. I craft here and there throughout the day but I need to carve out some real time during the day to work on this little Etsy shop of mine (and my mom's).

On the bright side! I did finish another bunny! Check it out:
www.ourhometoyours.etsy.com

No comments:

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016