Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Power of Love - Chapter 3

To view my other stories, visit my personal blog, http://debbihuntington.blogspot.com/

Welcome back to YankeeBurrowCreations Storytime. Grab a drink, pull up a chair, and let's see where my imagination takes us today. When you're done reading, click on the picture links to see what cool handmade items I found to accompany my story, that are also available for purchase.

You can find Chapter 1 and 2 under the Yankee Burrow Storytime tab.

The Power of Love - Chapter 3
hand knitted lap robe
I look around me, at all the people walking...running...sitting...saying hello...saying goodbye.  I don't think I can do this, and I peek at the sliding doors, opening, then closing, then opening again.  If I time it right, I can sprint out those doors and be gone before Hope can stop me.  But I've done that before, and I won't do that again.  So I pick up my needles and yarn and continue to work on my blanket.  And wait. 
My name is Grace.
My mom gave me that name, and sometimes I wonder if she knew, knew my future, and knew that that is what I would need, grace.  I was the youngest child in a very large family and while I always knew my mom and dad loved me, getting their time and attention was next to impossible.  So I got it where ever I could find it.  And usually in the wrong places.  That is how I found myself addicted to drugs by the time I was 17.

High school started out fun, but then a boy noticed me.  One of the bad boys in the school.  What is it about bad boys, that just draws me to them? The idea that I can save them?  But I'm the one that ended up lost.  I started slowly, with some beer, then some pot.  I started to skip school, go to the parties, and that's when I discovered the hard drugs.  At first, I wanted so desperately to fit in with this group, but then the only thing that mattered to me was the drugs.  The boy?  He stuck with me, but he was as addicted to it all as I was, and by the time I was 20, we were living together, on the streets.  Mom and Dad tried hard to help me, but it was too little, too late.  So after stealing money from mom's purse for my fix, they kicked me out.  I hopped on the back of my boyfriends bike, and never looked back.  I never finished school either.  Soon I was turning tricks to make money, and then I got pregnant.  The boy? He took off, and so there I was, alone, but with a life growing inside me. 
baby pink shawl
I managed to stay sober during my pregnancy, and every pregnancy after that, but between babies?  All that mattered was the drugs, so I continued to turn tricks for money.  But having babies made it possible for me to get a trailer and food stamps, so I figured having kids had it's perks.  Never did I give the children any attention, or even any thought.  Till one day they were all taken away from me.  And I let them go.  I knew that they were better off without me.  From there I sprialed down till I hit bottom. 
 
I turn my head and look at my daughter, and I am amazed at the beautiful woman she became.  No thanks to me, but thanks to Faith.
 
Thank you for joining me on this journey. And remember, every item I have shared as part of my story is available for purchase, just click on the links below the pictures. And come back next week as we talk to Faith again.
Be blessed,
Debbi

3 comments:

Happy Nappy Cake Gifts said...

God bless you on your life journey. Thank you for using the photograph of my baby grandaughter I hope you enjoy yours when they arrive and do things differently for them... they are a treasure...

2justByou said...

Oh no! I must've missed Part 2, so I'll have to go back and read that part as well. Love the story time here! =0)
~Kim
from Blogging Buddies
http://2justByou.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

happy nappy...I couldn't resist that baby! and I have plenty of grandkids, and even great grandkids now. This story is strictly fiction.
Debbi

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016