Thursday, December 6, 2012

My sister, my friend

While this time of the year is a season full of joy, it's also has a tinge of sadness.  We remember those that we love that are no longer with us, and we miss them.  Even though my sister Kathy lost her battle against breast cancer in 2001 (our mom went on to glory just the year before) I still miss her everyday, but mostly during this time.  You see, she was not just my sister, she was my other mother, and my friend.  She was the oldest girl (child #2) and I was the youngest of 6, so she pretty much helped raise me, especially during my teen years.  This is my very favorite picture of her.
Not only was she a great sister, she was the best auntie ever!  All the kids loved her.  She was their teacher, confidant, head camp counselor, and friend.  In this picture we were waiting for the start of a Memorial Day Parade.  In the wagon we have Aaron, Janine, my Amanda, then Kathy and Nick.  In the back we have Andy, Jason, my Joshua, and my Greg.  She had just turned 50 the year she passed, much too young to leave us.  I miss you Kakie...Merry Christmas.
Be blessed,
Debbi

7 comments:

Trina Prenzi said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your sister sounds like she was a beautiful person and this is a lovely tribute to her. The holidays are a time for joy but also a time of sadness, we miss our loved ones who are no longer with us, no longer able to share the holidays with them. Keep those memories close.

My dad LOVED Christmas time and his birthday was December 15th ~ Since he passed away, this time of year is always especially difficult for me. It will be 10 years in January that he's been gone.

Unknown said...

thank you for your comment...but those we loved are never really gone as long as we carry them in our hearts. <3
Debbi

Lisa said...

A lovely tribute to your sister. I am sorry she is no longer with you, but she is clearly present in your memory.

Linda E. Pruitt said...

What a lovely memory. I am a BC survivor and count my blessings every day. Thanks for sharing!

myeuropeantouch said...

Such a special memoir and tribute to your sis....lets always spread the love, a choice we all have....♥♥♥ Monika

Unknown said...

thank you everyone...friends like you make life easier. <3
Debbi

Unknown said...

Debbi, it does get hard at Christmas sometimes, she's still there for you! Christmas was easier when my kids were little or still around - then I could focus on having fun with them! I completely agree, your sister was way too young! Have a joyful holiday!

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016