Wednesday, July 10, 2013

my first TBN book review...Chivalry by Zach Hunter

I love to read, but never seem to find any extra time lately, so I decided to join the Tyndale Blog Network.  Now I can justify my reading time, and get free books to boot.  For my first review I chose the book "Chivalry.  The quest for a personal code of honor in an unjust world." by Zach Hunter.  


This is not a "story" book, it is a "study" book, and a very good one.  I became interested in this book because I have noticed the  seeming decline of plain old common courtesy in our children, to the point that we have pulled our daughter from the public school and will home school her again.  While this book is geared towards teens, I found myself underlining and highlighting passages and comments, and that's a sure sign of a good study book.  There are 10 chapters so this is a perfect length for a group study, and each chapter starts with a short story.  And at the back of the book there is a study section for each chapter, complete with thought provoking questions and a code to live by.  I enjoyed this book so much, I shared bits and pieces with my children, and will be giving this to our youth pastor at our church.

If you want to learn more about Zach and his idea of chivalry, you can listen to him on this video.

I highly recommend this book, not just to youth pastors, but to parents, grand parents, aunts and uncles, any one who is interested in investing in our future, our kids.
Be blessed,
Debbi
(the link at the top of this post will take you to the website where you can purchase this book)

6 comments:

Miss Val's Creations said...

Someone needed to write something like this! I agree about courtesy with the kids today. It is sad that parents even have to tell their children no cell phones at the dinner table.

Unknown said...

it's even sadder when you see the parents on their phones ignoring their children.

Bethany K @ BeforeDuringAfter said...

With a tiny new baby, I am craving books about raising babies and kids. And with a Christian twist, this sounds perfect for me.
I was a high school teacher for 7 years (until a month ago!), and kids these days... there's just no common sense about how to speak to each other. Kids would come up and ask me a question with buds in their ears, listening to music. Or they'd walk up while I was talking to another teacher and start asking me a question! I would stop, correct them, and ask them to start over!

Thanks for the advice on the book!

bethany @ http://beforeduringandafterblog.com

2justByou said...

Yes! Kids today need SO much help in what WE know as common courtesy and manners. It's difficult being a parent of today's kids, because with so much techie stuff, it's sometimes tough to get the kids to go back to the basics. Simple can be Better, and it often is.
I'll have to check this book out.
Thanks,
Kim

Unknown said...

thanks for visiting my blog...:0)
this is a good book, and I highly recommend it. We need to take a stand and teach our children Christian values because society is working hard to teach them otherwise.
Debbi

Unknown said...

You're so right. and the nice thing about this book, it's not a list of do's and don't's, but a plea to change how we feel on the inside and how we look at the world around us.
Thanks for stopping by. :0)
Debbi

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016