Friday, September 27, 2013

Summer, wherefore art thou summer?

Where did my summer go?  I walked out the back door yesterday to help put the cover on the swimming pool, and it hit me.
It's fall.
I missed summer.
How in the heck did I miss summer????
We took no trips this year, not even day trips to local parks and fun spots.  My vegetable garden went to pot...very quickly.  I didn't work in any of my gardens.  I only went swimming a handful of times, and Amanda and crew only came over once to swim.
So where did my summer go?
Here.  On-line.  Social media.  Trying to make my shop a success. 
 And in living life in front of my laptop, it passed me by outside.
Well, no more.  I took to heart some advise I learned from Bethan over at The Craft Star.
The 30/70 rule.
If I make my workday for my shop full time, that's 8 hours per day, Monday thru Friday.  I should spend 30% of that time with the selling part of my shop, and 70% of that time creating.
And it worked.  I now set my timer on my phone for 2.5 hours, and while working on-line with all my shop and social media business, Hannah sits next to me and does her homeschooling.  I follow my spread sheet list on the sites I need to visit and or link to, and then when my timer goes off, so does my laptop.  Then I get to eat lunch, clean the house, shop for supplies, and create items to sell.
And guess what?
It worked.
Over the last few weeks, I finished several pieces and even got them listed right away.  I am so proud of myself. :0)  Here's the latest scarf I created, and now I am working on making matching clutches to use the extra yarn for these scarves.

I love how easy this pattern worked, especially since it's crochet and not knit. :0)
I found the pattern at Cre8tion Crochet.

Well, I can't talk any longer....my timer is about to go off, and I have some of my favorite bloggers to visit.
Be blessed,
Debbi


8 comments:

Your Invisible Crown said...

If you find out where summer went, please let me know. Maybe we can get it back!

Isobel Morrell said...

Thanks - yet again - for the tip to control my increasingly fulltime social media habit(s)! If it worked for you, am going to have a go at doing something similar with my life - at least when I get back to base in mid-October.

Presently away from home with younger daughter and husband in Nottinghamshrie. Having a great time, especially now I've found out how to use wi-fi properly!

Cheers. Hope all is well with the Huntington empire! Isobel www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Good advice and I should probably try it myself. Sometime. ;)

myeuropeantouch said...

As soon as things settle with me, I WILL follow that advise....(smile)
Beautimus scarfs, Debbi....♥

Unknown said...

Beautiful scarfs.

Unknown said...

What a great post Debbi - and one I can relate to entirely - I never thought blogging would absorb my world so completely when I hit " publish " that very first time!!!
Your scarves are absolutely GORGEOUS !!!
XOXO

Christie Cottage said...

LOL NO kidding...we spend our lives in front of the computer, hours to make $3 profit!

Everyone is stressed for time and the conflict of jobs, work, family, laundry and then there is no tie left to create!

I am making a conscious effort to use my time more wisely.

Even this morning, I am taking the time to do something I enjoy... reading and commenting on blogs. I used to spend one hour every morning and then there wasn't time. So on Sunday mornings, I make time as I drink my coffee and just enjoy seeing what is going on in the blogosphere!

Sure, later I will be working and I have already logged 3.5 hours online this morning, but I am enjoying my blog walk today!


<><
http://ChristieCottage.blogpsot.com

Unknown said...

Hey Isobel!!!!
we are doing great....hope your having a great time with your family.

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016