Wednesday, August 11, 2010

the elusive butterfly


I have a butterfly garden in my backyard, and we get lots of swallowtails (the very large yellow ones), and hummingbird moths (my personal favorite), but yesterday we had a visit from this smaller butterfly.  I'm not sure what kind it is, since I've never seen one before.  It is about half the size of the swallowtail, and is a dusky orange with brown spots.  At let me tell you, it did not want it's picture taken.  I stood in the heat and waited.  I actually took over 50 pictures to get just these perfect one.  The butterfly was so calm at one point, I was able to pull the butterfly bush down for a closer look. 
Then I sneezed,
and off it went.
Unfortunately we have only seen one Monarch this season. They had a rough winter and the numbers are low.  If you are interested in butterflies, check out the Monarch Watch.
Well, that's all the gardening for me today.  Time to stay inside with the A/C on.

No comments:

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016