Saturday, July 23, 2011

today's chore

My chore for today (well, one of them) is peeling, cutting, and canning yesterday's harvest from my overgrown garden.  These were the only ones I could see, and reach, in that mess.  I peeled and cut some the other day, but didn't have a chance to can them, so I put the pot in my refrigerator.  I loooove my big fridge.  I took the pot out yesterday, but didn't get to can, and then forgot I took it out of the fridge.  That being said, I learned something new....never, never, never leave cut tomatoes out without canning them first.
You can't really see it in this picture, but it's bubbling.  And you should be glad this isn't smellavision.  PeeeUuuuu.
Oh well, live and learn.  I managed to live 51 years without this knowledge, but I can assure you, I will never do this again.  "Quick kids, open the windows!"
Debbi


8 comments:

Judy Westcott said...

I've never tried to can tomatoes, but my mother would put up dozens of jars each year. Hope you got the smell out of your house!

sweetybird09 said...

Im 51 too and never new this either!

Laura lok said...

ewwww that doesn't sound to good

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

The colors are beautiful! I have never put up tomatoes!

Melanna said...

I've never canned anything on my own and I've never helped with tomatoes. I've never heard of bubbling, stinky tomatoes. I will learn from your experience. Sorry you had to deal with the smell. Hope it came out of the pot okay.

Annie said...

Oh yeah, I know EXACTLY the smell you are talking about! This time of year I've always got a pile of tomatoes on the counter, harvested from our garden - and there's usually one or two I don't catch soon enough that has me running around the kitchen sniffing everything. Then it hits me, d'oh! rotten tomato...

Dough, Dirt & Dye

Isobel Morrell said...

Can't say I've had that experience! Like dealing with tomatos though - sorry, that's spelt the English way, because that where I'm from. Have never tried to can them - make red and green tomato chutneys and ketchup though. Taste much better home made than from a shop.

Lesson learned, though, eh?

my mini bag said...

Interesting topic. Never experienced it myself but from reading your story... Don't think I want to.

Did it end up good at least?


Found you on Blogging Buddies.

http://myminibag.blogspot.com/

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016