Friday, June 15, 2012

how our gardens grow

Lately my friends and I over at the Handmade Artists Forum have been comparing our gardening stories.  So last night I took a few pics to share with you.
This is my herb garden.  I love fresh herbs when I cook.  I had to cut back a lot last week because the weather here has been just perfect lately and everything was going crazy!  Starting in the back left corner I have, parsley, lemon balm, rosemary, sage, oregano, basil, mint, marjoram, and chives.  I didn't read the fine print when I planted the mint...and it doesn't just spread above ground, it spreads underground, and mixing in with my other herbs.  Frustrating.
This is our vegetable garden, almost a full 1/4 acre.  That's a lot for a family of 5.  We have 5 rows of corn, 3 rows of peas, 1 row of butternut squash, 1 row of potatoes, 2 rows of peppers, 1 row of pickling cucumbers, 3 rows of regular cucumbers, and tons of tomatoes....I love tomatoes.  What did not come up was the spinach, very little carrots, and eggplant.  Last week I harvested 3 bushels of cucumbers....and last night I tried my hand at making pickles again.  They don't look right!  hahaha
Now my fun gardens.  I love butterflies, and my butterfly garden is blooming large and the Swallowtails are returning.  Yeah!  I have flowers ranging in colors from white to pink to purple.  When my butterflies get bigger and more numerous...I'll share some more pictures of them with you.
These small plants are also in my butterfly garden.  I love the red color of the zinnia on the left, and they are another butterfly favorite.  And on the right is clover.  I had an envelope of seeds and when I planted the bushes, I just threw in the seeds to see what would come up.  They don't get very big, and I'm still waiting for the flowers to open.
A few years ago I planted this hydrangea to hide my air conditioner unit.  It didn't bloom for the first 2 years, and it only got a few blooms last summer.  So this year I did not cut it back at all...(actually I forgot), and now it is amazing!  I love the color.
And along the side of our house I planted some day lilies...I originally wanted the bright orange ones you find growing wild on the sides of the road, but the nursery only had these colored ones.  I have 2 of this very nice red/rust and 2 of a light yellow/beige.  But some night, when no-one is looking, I may go find myself some of those wild bright orange ones.  :~D  I find gardening to be so stress free and relaxing, and I recommend it to everyone.  There is a perfect garden for every size home and every personality.
Be blessed,
Debbi

8 comments:

SleightGirl said...

Your garden is so beautiful! I love the smell of herbs, especially rosemary and basil. When I have a yard, I definitely want to grow some things.

http://www.AllThingsTangled.blogspot.com

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

Your garden is wonderful. How nice to have room for such a large vegetable garden (but a ton of work, I know).

Libby said...

Your garden is fantastic! This year, I opted for container gardens on my deck. The cherry tomatoes have just started growing and I'm excited. I also have two herb gardens growing. The other day I just couldn't help myself when I saw a potted lavender plant and a jasmine plant. I haven't decided where to place them. I have to read more about them, but I heard jasmine likes to climb, so I'm going to find the perfect spot.

Unknown said...

thank you for the comments...

sleightgirl....I have started to put rosemary in EVERYTHING, lol

Sweet Posy...it is a lot of work. by mid summer we have usually lost the battle of the weeds. :P

Libby...thanks for stopping by. That is the best way to garden. just happen upon something that catches your eye (or nose) and then try it out. lavender is wonderful, but it will get large so plan on sharing with friends. of make lots of scatchels for your dresser drawers. heehee

Debbi

2justByou said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! I see a four leaf clover! And...It's so funny about your hydrangea plant...We have two rose bushes on either side of our air conditioner, and - at first - they didn't bloom so well. We also forgot to prune it, and boy did those roses bloom!!! =)
Great post. Really enjoyed looking at all the pics of your plants.
~Kim
from Blogging Buddies
http://2justByou.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Debbi, Did I read this correctly, "Comparing our gardening stories”… Debbi there is no comparison! WOW! Now that’s what I call a GARDEN!

Great Job! Now I ask you, who gets to pick all the veggies? By the time I returned to the house my basket would be empty (I would have eaten everything I picked) LOL

Really nice Debbi… Good Job!

Unknown said...

Cari,
that's what we have kids for....lol.

Unknown said...

Wow! Debbi, I am impressed! I love to garden, and am slowly turning my traditional "yard" (how it was when I bought this house) into a garden..slowly but surely! I have a group of gf's who live in my area and discuss our gardens on fb..love it! Great job! Aloha, Connie

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016