Tuesday, June 5, 2012

a new craft

A couple of years ago, I was at a civil war re-enactment with Hannah when I saw a woman weaving on a small(ish) table top loom, and was instantly bitten by the "I gotta try this" bug.  So I went home, did some research, and got Chuck to build me a loom.  Then it sat for the next 2 years.  Now don't yell at me...I didn't mean for it to sit for 2 years.  It's just that life kept going on until the other night I determined to weave, no matter what.  It took me a few hours to load the yarn on the loom.  Mostly because I did not read the directions fully, and had to unload and reload several times, lol.  Then the yarn I was using, well, it turned out that I only had 1 ball of that color and it wasn't enough.  So yesterday I took a trip to my local store.  And they did not have the same color yarn as what I already had on the loom.  But they did have this totally awesomely bright pink/yellow/orange.  So last night I spend another hour taking off the old yarn, and putting on the new yarn.
The picture is from my cell phone because it was late and my camera was in the studio and it was dark outside. heehee.  Plus I was so excited to start that I had even forgotten to take pictures of the loom before I started this process.
Here is the start of my weaving adventure.  This will be a belt for our Etsy shop.  Oh the ideas floating around my head....I even told Chuck that I'm going to need a bigger loom for placemats and stuff. hahaha.  Check out these great handmade loom weaving items. 
Click on the links to see them upclose.
On the left is an authentic, from Jerusalem, hand woven prayer shawl.  You can find this and several others at Weaving Creation on Zibbet.
On the right is a handwoven silver / blue / green scarf from Loom on the Lake on Etsy.

And go ahead and subscribe to my blog for all the future updates on my weaving experiments.

Be blessed,
Debbi  

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You sound just like me....I see something new and ...it looks interesting and I HAVE to try it.

I printed off instructions for making a loom last week...we will see how that goes!!

Love the beginnings of your belt!!

Stela said...

How fun! Love the bright colors you chose!

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

Oh my, that looks complicated. I used to have a great big floor loom. I only used it a couple of times because I hated to thread the darn thing. Plus it was so big that I had it in a spare bedroom and always felt like I was in solitary confinement when I went in to weave. I like things that I can do and still be part of the family. Your loom looks perfect for that!

Libby said...

Best wishes to you on weaving. I believe that now that your loom has been properly loaded, you're going to be hooked on this new craft. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Looks like quite a contraption, But in a small enough form to be more managable than a floor loom! The belt is looking great! And the finished one is terrific!

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016