Wednesday, July 11, 2012

the colors of nature

Last night, after dinner, we went to Lowes for a potato fork so we can harvest the pitiful potatoes from our garden.  (The 3 digit heat this summer is not doing our veggies any good).  While there I got distracted, easily distracted, in their gardening section.  Look what I found!
It's a hibiscus...and I just fell in love with the colors...now I just need the find the perfect spot.  After taking this picture I decided to stroll thru my yard and check out my other flowers.
Some crepe myrtle, blooming a little early due to the heat...


My day lilies...the bright orange ones came from our neighbor, and the peach ones we planted last year.
My roses are feeling the heat...badly.  It's so hot, I haven't even had too much trouble with the beetles, lol  Out of my 13 bushes...I only have 2 flowers, but they are bright and happy flowers.
 Chuck "found" this bakers rack top, and so he attached it to the side of his work shop.  A great place to add some color with flowers.  Trying to find high heat and low water plants limits your choices, but I love my sunny cactus, and zinnias are another favorite or mine, and of my butterflies.
The only plants thriving in this heat are the weeds...the ground along the road by my mailbox was just cut last week by the county.  And this grew to about 3 feet high in just that week.  But the cool thing about this weed is the top....
covered with tiny yellow flowers.  The beauty of nature!
So, how does your garden grow this super heated summer?
Be blessed,
Debbi


9 comments:

lilndmama said...

The only reason our garden in the back is flourishing is because we excessively water them every day :) And I think the only reason my daisies up front are blooming is because they're resilient little buggers, which is good because they're beautiful :D

Pamela Bates said...

i really do think many weeds are pretty. i've left both milkweed in my garden and pokeweek, because i like the way they both look and because the butterflies and birds love 'em. that hibiscus is GORgeous! my rose of sharon has buds all over and i can't wait for it to bloom.

Unknown said...

Those hibiscus flowers are gorgeous! We've been having 90 degree days which is really out of whack for how far north I live. However my plants have been doing well and even flourishing despite the intense heat. I have been meticulous about keeping them happy and watered every night :)

Stela said...

All those flowers are gorgeous! I wish our weeds had pretty flowers attached to them.

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

Pretty, pretty. My daylilies are just about done for the year. One benefit to the dryness is don't need to mow very often (almost never!). But we have also had a few tough weeds that still manage to grow. But frankly, even many of our weeds are suffering!

pam said...

Lovely photos.

I have had zilch luck this year. The snails are so bad they even ate the marigolds down to the nub.

Pam

Rachel J said...

what nice flowers! Ours have all wilted off in the heat :/

Thunder Rose said...

Beautiful flowers! We are finally getting a little rain here. My garden is much happier with rain!

lorenabr said...

the flowers look great! :)

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016