Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Time to get ready for summer

Yes, I know, we just finished our New Years celebrations, and it is still officially winter, but for me, summer can't come fast enough!
 Sun? yes, please. 
Heat? bring it on, that's what our pool is for. 
Yard work? no so much fun, but planning now will make it easier. 

So first, my Burpee catalog and what vegetables do we want to grow this summer?  Luckily we have not had a hard freeze here, so Chuck can start turning over the ground, and turn over the ground, and turn over the ground, for our vegetable garden.  Last year we put our garden in a new spot, and it wasn't turned over enough first, so it got overrun with weeds and grass.  Funny how the heat can mess with my vegetables and flowers, but the weeds just thrive. lol.  So, once Chuck sprays and turns over, it will be time to start our seedlings.  We will have tomatoes, of course.  I can never seem to grow enough of them.  And corn.  Our corn last year never formed :0(  but luckily we still had corn frozen from the year before.  I want peas again, they didn't come up last year, I think I need to come up with a better trellis idea for my peas, and tomatoes.  I hate tying them up to stakes.  I love potatoes, carrots, and onions, but Chuck said the underground vegetables are too hard to harvest.  But these are pretty much the only vegetables my family eats.  This year we will plant only about half as many cucumbers.  Chuck is the only one in the house that likes cucumbers, so 15+ cucumber plants were way too much.  Now to the catalog to see what new veggies we should try.

I absolutely LOVE the color, shape, and feel of eggplant.  But the taste? Not so much.  Amanda made us Eggplant Parmesan once, but I just didn't like it.  And Amanda is a wonderful cook.  Maybe I'll put in 1 or 2 for her, use them as models for some still-life paintings, then she can have them.  Now cantaloupes, honeydew, musk melons, and watermelons are a must....I just wish there was a way to preserve them for winter consumption.  The ones you buy in the stores this time of year just have no flavor.
 This year I have to learn how to grow garlic.  I use a lot of garlic in my cooking and canning, and I thought, how cool would a string of garlic look hanging in my kitchen. hahaha.  Then there is my love affair with lettuce.  Not iceburg lettuce, but big, leafy, buttercrunch lettuce.  The name even sounds tasty...buttercrunch...like ice cream!
 
And now for something completely different...blue potatoes!  How cool would these look in a summer potato salad?  And popcorn is a big hit in my house, so growing our own would be something that may get the kids interested in working the garden. (probably not).  My uncle used to grow popcorn on his farm, I told all my friends cuz I thought that was just so neat.
Well, that should be enough for our vegetable garden...next week on to the herb garden, and pot gardening.
So, what will you be planting this year?
Be blessed,
Debbi

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Debbi.....I can't wait for gardening weather!!! love to grow all sorts of yummy stuff!!! I grow tons of garlic....but you have to plant it in October....just like tulips....

come see my last harvest!!! http://dianaevans.blogspot.ca/2012/07/garlic-harvest-2012woyww-163.html

those blue potatoes look amazing!!! I can't wait to grow more stuff!!!

Isobel Morrell said...

From my vegetable growing days, seem to remember that garlic is a tricky customer and needs to be in the ground at a different time of the year from all the other "oniony" type veggies. Seem to remember having to sew it early November and leaving it to get really cold before it germinates properly! As we're still in the same hemisphere, presume that might have some bearing on your plans?

Good luck, anyway. Isobel: www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

We recently moved to a rural area from the city. Missed planting season this year, but we are also looking forward to having a nice garden come the warm weather.

Unknown said...

oh, shoot, I missed the garlic! but the pics on your blog post were great. now I definetly will plant them next fall.
Debbi

Unknown said...

I was just informed that I need to plant it in october, and if it needs cold, it may not grow well in my area anyway :0(
but I'll never know until I try :0)
Debbi

Unknown said...

there's nothing better then fresh veggies...
:0)
Debbi

Pamela Bates said...

we are sure to go with our old stand bys........lots of blue lake green beans, lots of romas, potatoes, kale. perhaps some chard too. i have tried and tried again with other things but those are our best crops.

isn't eggplant gorgeous???

pam said...

Mmm, I love the idea of roasted purple potatoes with a squeeze of fresh lemon.

Pam

Miss Val's Creations said...

How exciting Debbi! My dad always had a huge vegetable garden when growing up but no longer grows. He does have a couple of apple trees though. :) Now that I have my own yard I would love to grow my own crops! Those colorful potatoes will be so fun to cooks with. Egpplant is an odd veggie. I do not care for it either however eggplant parmesan is one my of favorite dishes. Go figure! Red sauce and cheese does wonders.

Unknown said...

I'm surrounded by people who grow, and share, green beans, but I can't stand them. lol. but they won't touch my peas. go figure. lol
Debbi

Unknown said...

yummmmy. I am definetly going to order the blue potatoes and try them.
Debbi

Unknown said...

LOL. yes, sauce and cheese can fix a great many ills, but not all. I've drowned asparagus and brussel sprouts in cheese, but they still make me gag. hahaha
Debbi

Karen and Dakota said...

I have been growing my garden in planter for the past 8 years. This year will not be any different. I have garlic already in pots and chives. I planted leaf lettuce the other day hoping for some early salads, they like it cool. I will put in tomatoes, got to have them and okra. I have freezer full of seeds, I am a seed saver, so having seeds to plant in not an issue. Looking forward to growing.

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016