Monday, July 29, 2013

My girl is feeding my girls

It took her some time for her to get comfortable, but Hannah has discovered the fun of having a chicken peck at her fingers while feeding them from her hand.

She started to freak out when all 13 came running after I called them, but now she sits and feeds them every chance she gets.  It helps her learn to sit still and calm, that's for sure. hahaha
 Here's a few close ups of my babies.  This is Red, and he is "the master", except at feeding time.  Whenever I give him something special, sure enough, one of the girls will come running and take it right out of his beak.  And he let's them, hence the term "hen pecked".
 This is Spot.  She lays green eggs.  Really.  But only whenever she feels like it.  She's getting to the age where she will soon stop laying altogether.
In case you are wondering about my ducks, here they are...
the one with the curl in the tail is our male, Daffy.  And he really is daffy.  I think he's the reason behind the phrase "dumb duck".  The other is our female Quakers.  She spends most of her time following Daffy yelling at him.  He is really hen pecked. lol
Believe it or not, Quakers climbs up into this old chicken coop to lay her eggs.  Surprisingly they are not that much bigger then the chicken eggs.  I was hoping for big eggs that I can use for Psanky Eggs.  Maybe as she matures and gets bigger.  If the eggs do get bigger, I'll get a few more female ducks.
No these are not my eggs.  I forgot to take pictures of the eggs I did make before I sold them (or broke them) in a move.
Until tomorrow....
Be blessed,
Debbi

7 comments:

sarah said...

What do you do when they stop laying?

Unknown said...

while we do eat chicken, we don't eat the ones I name and carry and pet. :0)
so she will just get to relax, and eat, and get loved until she dies.
Debbi
-yankeeburrow

Pamela Bates said...

Love it! Henpecked!

Miss Val's Creations said...

The pictures are so fun Debbie! The ducks sound like an old married couple!

Your Invisible Crown said...

I used to love painting eggs as a kid. So much fun to make them!

Anna Urquhart said...

Such fun to meet your girls! :)

Trina Prenzi said...

Such fun pictures! Thanks for sharing them with us!

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016