Thursday, December 26, 2013

"A Call to Resurgence" by Mark Driscoll, a TBN book review

WOW! A MONTH? REALLY?
I can't believe I've been AOL from my blog for almost a whole month, and I've missed you all so much too. :-)
Now that the holiday rush is over, and most everyone in the family is healthy, it's time to get back into my routine, and I will start with my Tyndale Blog Network book review.

I have to tell you, I love TBN.  They have tons of great books, and this month I chose the book
"A Call to Resurgence" by Mark Driscoll.
What caught my eye was the writing on the front of the book, "will Christianity have a funeral or a future?".  When I watch the national and world news I am amazed at just how much our world and world views have changed, and not all for the good (in my opinion).  And I become concerned for the future of my children and grandchildren.  As a child of God, and a disciple of Christ, I want to leave them a better place to live, and I thought that this book would give me a place to start for change.  I was slightly disappointed over that point.  It wasn't a "how to" book, or even gave concrete suggestions on how to change.  But the book was very good at describing how we Christians cause most of our own problems, which I totally agree with, like that old saying, "the army of God is the only army that shots it's own wounded".  Unfortunately that's true.  But Mark calls for all of us to work together to bring change.  Here are a few lines that I enjoyed and highlighted for future reference.
"The church is facing a great opportunity - to be part of a far-reaching and substantial movement of the Holy Spirit to see many come to Jesus".
"How much time and energy is wasted in warring that could be better invested in witnessing?"
"We are a minority in an increasingly hostile host culture, and the sooner we accept that reality, the better off we will be.  We have to stick together around the national border issues, stop wasting our energies on infighting, and start investing our energies in evangelizing."
And my very favorite line in the book...

"The Bible is not a book of principles to live by but rather a Person to live for"!

The rest of the book is an overview of the way too many different denominations and the history of the churches.  So over all it was a good read and I give it 3 out of 5 stars.
Until tomorrow...
Be blessed,
Debbi

**Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of Mark Driscoll's book, 
"A Call to Resurgence" for my review. **

No comments:

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016