Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Why You Need A Light Box

The weather here (just like everywhere) has been really crappy lately, so I have not been able to take my items pictures outside in natural light.  I was taking my item pictures in my studio, but right now I don't have heat up there, so it's slowly turned into a storage shed more than anything else, and I can't get to my picture taking area.  So I decided to bring my background into my kitchen to take pictures of items so I could get them listed in my The Craft Star shop.  This is what I ended up with, even after "fixing" them with my Picasa program....a yellow tint on my white cards.  Yuck.
I auto exposed it...I lightened it...I tried everything, then just got flustered / frustrated and listed 2 cards this way.  On The Craft Star site there is a section of help where I found a link to instructions on making a light box.  So I went shopping for a box and paper and went to work.
 
Here it is with just the overhead light on.  Still kind of yellow. 
Here is is with 1 lamp.  I didn't like the shadow, much, so back to the store for another lamp for the other side of the box.
And here's the result.  Drum roll please.....
..........................

What a difference!!!!
So I spent a whole afternoon taking pictures of my new cards, and scarfs, and some vintage items I have yet to list.  Now to come up with tags and great descriptions....and yes, The Craft Star has a how to for them also.  :0)
You can find this card and my other ones, here in my Rusty Art section of my Yankee Burrow shop 
on The Craft Star.  And you can read about the history of my Rusty Art here.
So, do you use a light box???
Be blessed,
Debbi

11 comments:

Your Invisible Crown said...

Ah, natural light! One of the reasons I can't wait for spring and summer :-)

myeuropeantouch said...

Awesome...Debbi....♥

2justByou said...

Yes, the natural light of late is really not great for photo ops. My light box died, and I haven't yet made a new one. They are very simple, though, and make all the difference. I WUV that elephant card!!!

Miss Val's Creations said...

What a difference! I use a light box too. It is such a simple fix for getting great photos when it is night time or miserable like this winter!

Anna Urquhart said...

So glad you sorted out your lighting issue. So sorry about your crappy weather--perhaps we can get a life-size light box and get a few extra rays to make us feel like Spring is upon us :)

Unknown said...

me too. I swear that when I went outside yesterday I could actually "smell" summer under the cool air. At least I could go out without a coat!

Unknown said...

thank you Monika... <3

Unknown said...

thank you Kim. that elephant is one of my favorite sketches from my mother too.

Unknown said...

It does make a great difference, and it is so easy, I could smack myself for waiting so long to make one. lol

Unknown said...

thank you Anna....a life size light box is a great idea. (wait, I think they call that a tanning bed, hahaha)

deepbluesealove said...

I definitely need to make one. Do you think a lamp with a full-spectrum lightbulb would help? Do they even make those anymore? I think Reveal is one brand. Just finished taking pics outside, as it's a sunny day, and there's such a difference! BTW, FBed & Tweeted your blog post. Lisa

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016