Sunday, February 15, 2015

The First Day Of My New Life

It was in August of 1982.
I was a single mother of 2 living with my mother in Tonawanda NY.
My husband had left for Texas to find work, and to be honest, our marriage needed the break.
I knew about God, and Jesus.
But they were mostly just someone I prayed to when I needed something.
My mom had a relationship with them, but didn't push them on me.
Sometimes I wish she would have, my teen years were...well...difficult.
Anyway, here I was with 2 young children and only 23 years old.
No college, no job, and no prospects.
BUT GOD...
He had a plan for my life,
but first I needed to meet Him.
Really meet Him.
Personally.




A dear friend from the church I attended off and on invited my mom to a special  church service.
So, like most everything else, all us girls went with my mom.
To a Messianic Jewish Temple.
Where my destiny awaited.




What I am about to tell you is the absolute truth.
While I can't remember much about the service, 
the songs, or the sermon.
I will remember this until my dying day.




I was standing next to my mom, realizing that my life was in a mess, and I couldn't fix it.
The preacher was telling me about someone who knew me, and loved me, 
and still chose to die for me.
Then the preacher directed everyone to bow their heads and close their eyes.
That's when I felt Him.



With my head down and eyes closed, I swore someone put their hands on my head.
My eyes flew open, and I looked around, but there was nobody near me.
So I closed my eyes again.
And again, someone put their hands on my head.
They were heavy.
They were warm.
And they felt good.
And I knew they belonged to Him.
The one I had been looking for all my life, I just didn't know it until then.



When the preacher asked all those who raised their hands to come down to the alter.
I froze.  Literally.  I could not move.
An usher came up and asked me if I wanted to go down.
I yelled at him for peeking when the preacher told everyone to keep their eyes closed.
There was a woman sitting next to me.
I had not noticed her when we first got there.
She calmly took my hand, and walked to the alter with me.
Turns out, she was the preachers wife.



On the ride home, my sisters kept teasing me, but it didn't matter.
I felt lighter, and happier.
And I couldn't stop smiling.
For months.
In fact, I still smile every time I remember this day.



It's been 32 years since then, and my life has been up and down.
I had a third child.
That marriage ended in divorce.
I met a wonderful man and remarried.
And through it all....
I could always feel those hands.



Thank you Jesus for loving me.


Be blessed,
Debbi


3 comments:

Anna Urquhart said...

What a beautiful story of Grace, Debbi. Thank you.

2justByou said...

Wow, Debbi. I am not a religious person, but I love to hear stories like yours. True testimonials of how someone found his/her faith. It makes me have hope.

Miss Princess Diaries said...

Amen. Strengthen the faith.

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016