Friday, November 18, 2011

baby it's COLD outside.

If that title sounds familiar, it's because just a scant 4 months ago, we were whining about the heat in my post "Baby, it's hot outside".  Hahaha.  I just now got in from standing outside with the kids waiting for their buses, and it's only 31 degrees.  Of course, Brandon could only find one mitten, so he was not a happy camper.  I think he used it last month playing cowboy outside on his horse (bike).  Oh well.... 8~)  Now I know I grew up in Tonawanda, (a suburb of Buffalo NY), so 31 degrees should be nothing to me, but I'm not 10 anymore...I'm nunya (buziness, teehee).  And I don't like the cold.  But I do like watching a light pretty evening snowfall from inside the house.  And I did have fun in the snow as a kid.  I spent my first 12 years in an old farmhouse in a great small neighborhood across from the Sheridan golf course.  My 2 best friends and I would sit and watch the balls come flying over a particular hill, and then run and grab them.  We'd then shoot back across the street (don't tell our moms, we weren't allowed across the street) and sit in our front yards and watch the golfers go nuts looking for their balls.  There was one summer when we got older and smarter, we started selling our balls back to the golfers, kind of like a lemonade stand.  It was too funny!  But this same park had a HUGE toboggan run, and for my southern neighbors, I'm not talking about a knit hat.  A toboggan is a large wooden sled that could carry 4 - 8 people.  Here's what Wikipedia says....

"A toboggan is a simple sled which is a traditional form of transport used by the Innu and Cree of northern Canada. In modern times, it is used on snow to carry one or more people (often children) down a hill or other slope for recreation. Designs vary from simple, traditional models to modern engineered composites. A toboggan differs from most sleds or sleighs in that it has no runners or skis (or only low ones) on the underside. The bottom of a toboggan rides directly on the snow. Some parks include designated toboggan hills where ordinary sleds are not allowed and which may include toboggan runs similar to bobsleigh courses."

We would carry that toboggan up the chute (an open deck about 4 stories tall) get hooked up, the guy would hit the lever, and off we would go....think of like a luge shoot in the Olympics, but it was straight.  When you hit the bottom, the snow would fly, and if you were in front, you would be covered by snow by the time the toboggan came to a stop, miles (well, it seemed like miles) from where you started.  Then you would all grab that heavy wooden sled, and climb back up the hill and up the chute.  It was a ball!!!!  But being the youngest, I always got put in front.  Daddy put me in back once, but I fell off the sled when we hit the bottom and missed half the ride.  It makes me smile just thinking about this.  For fun I did an Etsy search on toboggan and here is what came up...
Most of what came up were knit or crochet hats.  But I like this Vintage ski hat from Forgotten In The Attic because it is most like the hats we wore growing up, complete with pompom on the top.  But I also found this... 6 Tobogganer Sleigh cookies from Queen of Tarts Cakes.  I figured she must be a Yankee, but she's from Los Angeles California!  Go Figure!!! hahaha.  So in keeping with my rambling and cold memories today, tomorrows link up party theme is...snow!  or cold, or whatever, teehee.  Have a blessed day and I'll see you in the morning.
Debbi 

6 comments:

My Inspired Reality said...

Enjoyed that little trip down memory lane, especially about selling the balls back to the golfers:):)

Megan Petersen said...

Those cookies look AMAZING! talk about attention to DETAIl!

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting our cookies today! We also have beautiful EDIBLE papers that can be used for home baked cookies and cupcakes here: www.queenoftartswafers.etsy.com

Annie said...

Haha! Great memories. Hey, we are both Lake Erie girls! I grew up in Cleveland. I remember well sledding with my siblings - and I was the youngest, too. Always sat in front. And despite the "snow belt" upbringing...hate, hate, hate the snow and cold!

Empty On the Inside
Dough, Dirt & Dye

debbi@yankeeburrowcreations said...

haha annie, I knew we were kindred spirits, haha
Debbi

Melanna said...

I too hate the cold, but like to watch pretty snow outside. Every winter, once Christmas passes I wonder how I, such a winter hater, could live in Canada.
I always get a kick out of Americans referring to hats as toboggans. We call the knit hats a Toque (said Took - with a really long oooo sound - not like book) and a toboggan is a sled. Oh Canada!

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016