Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Farmer Owen

It's hard to believe that this will be our 12th summer down here in sunny ((HOT)) North Carolina.  It's been in the high 70's most of the month so far and it's only March.  And all this beautiful weather turns our minds towards....our gardens.  I have a rose garden, a butterfly garden, and an herb garden.  We started with a small vegetable garden, and I think there have only been a few years where we didn't plant one, but when we did, it got bigger every year.  Now that Chuck has his new tractor....well, let's just say this will be a busy summer here on the "farm". lol  He's turned over almost a quarter of an acre, and Owen is loving the dirt!
He's got on his cowboy boots, and my hat, and he's off to help Poppa.  I missed the shot, but he refuses to get on the tractor, he just follows it up and down the rows.  He likes to walk in the furrows.
Here Poppa is showing him the corn kernels.  Owen wanted the whole bag, and got mad when he only got a few at a time.  We are planting corn (we love), potatoes (our first try), carrots (I love), radishes (no one loves), eggplant (for Amanda), lettuce, squash (Chuck), peppers,
 pickling cucumbers (I'm gonna try that again), watermelon, and of course....tomatoes!
Here he is covering the corn.  I tried several times to show him how to use the hoe, but he would just grunt at me and turn it upside down.  He's a boy that knows his own mind.
He finally just reverted to his own hand trowel.  I often wonder why Amanda sends him to our house dressed in anything white. :~P  There's Tater Tot in the background.  He's not happy because this was part of his pasture.  So y'all stay tuned to see if we survive this summer of weeding, and harvesting, and canning.  I do have to say that fresh organic food tastes so much better!
Debbi

3 comments:

sarah said...

I'm a little jealous! There's a slight chance of frost here still so I'm putting off planting. Soon though.

Owen looks adorable in that hat!

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

What a cute little farmer!

Unknown said...

I'm very jealous! I live in an apt complex and the closest I can come to a garden is planting everything (mostly flowers) in pots! I would love to be able to have a real garden! The best watermelon I've ever had was from my grandfather's garden in Apex, NC. Enjoy!

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016