Monday, September 16, 2013

My life has been turned upside down!

Happy Monday everyone.  I'm glad to be here again, with only a few days since my last post. 
As you can probably figure out by my post title, I feel like I have been jogging uphill,
 in flip flops, 
in a mudslide. 
 And I am pooped!

We started homeschooling Hannah again this year, and the past 2+ weeks have been spent fine tuning her subjects.  While investigating what she needs to study for the end of grade testing (since I discovered so much that was not taught in the public schools) I discovered that here in North Carolina, the non-public,
non-traditional schools (i.e. home schools and private schools) have to pass the national standards, BUT the North Carolina public schools do not.  What's up with that?????  Talk about dumbing down our children.  But I'm glad, because when Hannah graduates, she will be smart enough to run the businesses that will hire our public school graduates. LOL.  
This past Saturday, she volunteered with our church at the local homeless shelter, and you can hear about it from her on her very own blog.  Hannah's Homeschooling Daze.

The second reason I am wore out is because my husband and I open our home to foster children.
Therapeutic foster children.
At-risk children.
The children that cannot live in a "normal" family situation, but do not meet the criteria for group homes (which I don't like anyway).
2 Thursdays ago, we got a call....there was an autistic 6 year old that needed a temporary home immediately, or he would be sleeping in the DSS offices.  How could we say no?
He is the cutest little boy, with the largest lungs, and strongest tantrums I have ever seen!  He does not communicate verbally, so we play a lot of 20 questions.  He also doesn't like to be told no, and will have 4 or more tantrums a day.  Complete with throwing himself on the floor, ground, cement, van floor, wherever.  
He is still in pull ups, and yesterday we had 4 showers, and 5 messed in pants.  And he sleeps at only 3-4 hour shifts.  So I only sleep when he sleeps.  As does everyone else in the house, due to the tantrums.  Unfortunately this is one child we know that we cannot help, and he will be moved to a hospital where he will live until he's an adult.  Such a shame.  I get very upset when I see or know pregnant women drink, smoke, or do any drugs.  Because I have seen firsthand the results of those choices.
And it makes me sad.
And tired.
Now it's time for my nap, while he's in school.
Be blessed,
Debbi

12 comments:

Your Invisible Crown said...

Words can not express how much respect I have for you! How does Hannah like to be homeschooled?

Pamela Bates said...

bless your heart. my you have your hands full with new home schooling and a new foster child.

i'm sure it's all quite challenging.

my grandparents raised many foster children, including my Uncle Bobby who never left (but whose mom would never allow them to adopt him). He's my Mom's baby brother and we just celebrate his and my aunts 50th. Fostering can make a huge difference, even if it's to just one kid. kudos.

must love junk said...

Oh, Debbi, God bless you! You are such a special family to do this! That must be heartbreaking, but you're giving love to a 'lost' little boy. I really admire you.
Susan

Thunder Rose said...

Wow Debbi, You really have your hands full. That is so kind of you helping that little boy. It is so sad. Sometimes the public school system has a lot to be desired. Good luck and many blessings!

Tasha said...

You and your family have such BIG hearts....such compassion and patience. That is wonderful what you all are doing and so inspiring. About homeschooling....will Hannah be required to be tested where you live? We don't have that here in KS that's why I'm asking.

Unknown said...

Hannah loves it (mostly). She had been in the public school, and last year (her first year in middle school) she practically begged us to homeschool her again. There is so much drama and violence in our schools now. It's sad.

Unknown said...

thank you...we are still in contact with several of the children who have lived with us over the years. it is definitely a challenge, and a blessing...to us.

Unknown said...

thank you. we love it, usually. lol. even after a fit, when he is clean and cuddly, he can make me laugh. :-)

Unknown said...

you are so right about the public school system. our nation is falling behind more every year.

Unknown said...

yes, Hannah has to pass the CAT national standardized test. which I am thankful for, since I want to make sure she is learning what she needs to learn to succeed.

Miss Val's Creations said...

Oh Debbi, you are a saint! That is wonderful that you and your husband have opened up your home to children who need help. It sounds so stressful but also rewarding! Home schooling sound so amazing to me. There are too many negative things the children deal with in public schools these days. I hope things get a little easier to manage for you!

Unknown said...

There are people that wonder what they can do to help -
And there are people that just jump in and do what they can - without wondering at all - what a blessing you are to these children Debbi - what a complete blessing.......
I'm in awe of your generosity of spirit...........
"jogging uphill,
in flip flops,
in a mudslide.
And I am pooped!"
Made me LAUGH OUT LOUD !!!

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016