Monday, April 14, 2014

Homeschool Monday....find support.

Early on, when I started to homeschool Hannah in 4th grade, I had no idea what I was doing.  In many ways, I still don't, and that's ok.  BUT back then, I felt so overwhelmed.  I googled homeschooling, and most of what I found just made me feel inadequate or poor.  Many of the sites where just on-line schools, and it was the strict schedule and set up that was part of Hannah's problem.  So I posted my frustration on facebook, and my wonderful niece in NY came to my rescue riding a white horse.  Ok, she wasn't on a horse, but she mailed me a book, The ABC's of School Success by Wesley Sharpe, ED.
Now, I am not recommending this book, because I did not read the whole book, just the part on homeschooling.  Besides, it was not the book that encouraged me, it was that someone who has been there, and done that, reached out to encourage and uphold me in my decision to homeschool.  It's unbelievable the number of people who look at me as though I am crazy.  But they don't understand that parents who choose to homeschool do it out of a deep love for their children.  Otherwise, we parents would save our sanity, and keep our free time, and send our children to public schools.  lol
What I'm trying to say, that while the percentage of children that are homeschooled is in the minority, it is growing by leaps and bounds every year.  And those of us that have walked this road, need to look for, and support the ones that are just starting.  I also want to plug a page on facebook that has been indispensable to me.  Practical Homeschooling.
If you're new to homeschooling, don't give up.  Ask for help.  It's out there.
Be blessed,
Debbi

5 comments:

Isobel Morrell said...

When we were in Canada, we home-schooled both our girls for the last year we were there. One girl was so bullied that she refused to go back to her last school, and the other one wanted to join her little sister, as she too didn't fit in - although she'd learned to handle the bullies by that time.

We only wished we'd done it earlier, because until we asked, we didn't realise that kids living in the major cities of Alberta were as entitled to participate in the Government run home schooling programme as those in the "boondocks". Both flourished, and when the time came for us to return to the UK, both fitted in nicely to the English school system, even though it meant the elder one staying on an extra year so she could get her "A" level exams, without which she could not have qualified for university. Both got good degrees, and both often say they wished we'd done it earlier too!

So, if a kid is asking for home school, I'd really give it serious consideration. The elder one was in High School when she started it.

Abby / Linda said...

I will put my daughter in touch with this post, she is new to homeschooling and has two boys, each with different learning styles and needs. she's doing OK, but I am sure that encouragement is always welcome!!!

Unknown said...

I agree, I wish I had been able to start earlier, and/or stuck with it after 4th grade. But it is getting easier.
Debbi

Unknown said...

I am glad that you're passing this along. Homeschooling can be hard work sometimes, but it is very fulfilling knowing that my child is safe every day. Tell your daughter that she can contact me anytime for help, or just for fun. :0)
Debbi

Pamela Bates said...

here's the thing..........traditional schooling is simply not for everyone. sometimes it is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. My friend home schooled her boy when he got to his last two years of highschool. it just wasn't the right fit for him. I'm sure you 'muddled' through the first year and have done a bang up job!

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016