Monday, June 2, 2014

Homeschool Monday - The Final Stretch

Well, we're in the final week of school.  Just reviewing our work and preparing for our EOG's.  (End of Grade testing).  Here in NC while our children have to be tested, you do not have to send in the results, just keep them on record.  The weird part of this is that in NC, the homeschooled children need to pass a national testing, while the public schooled kids do not, so the homeschooler is held to a higher standing.  That's ok with me.  That just means when my child enters the work force, she will be the boss. hahaha

Last Friday, our county homeschool group arranged a pool party at the local YMCA.  And yes, we HAD to go shopping for a new suit.  What a NIGHTMARE!  Why does society (or the fashion designers today) feel that young girls need to expose as much skin as possible?  Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a fuddy duddy, but come on, get real, we are raising a generation of hoochy mommas and then wondering why the pregnancy rate for teens is rising.  Seriously?  Ugh.
Any way, we finally found one we both agreed on, sort of, and off we went to the party.  On the way there, it started to storm, so according to the Y policy, no swimming.  They did set us up in the gym with some bouncy houses.  But my group of middle schoolers were too cool for that.  (Except Hannah....lol).  I found the girls congregating in the doorway watching other young men play basketball.  Us mothers just watched them squirm and giggle, and so we giggled too.  Giggled for the girls, and giggled for our memories of when we were that age.  A long (long) time ago. hahaha

Now to decide on testing.  Here is an article from The North Carolinians for Home Education with tips on how to choose a test.
Since I order my testing supplies (and other curriculum) from Peidmont Education Services,  I did a comparison on the 3 EOG's they offer, and because we mostly directed our studies this year on math and language arts, I decided on the California Achievement Test.  I like that fact that 1) this is not Common Core aligned, 2) I can choose the subjects for testing, 3) I can test at home.
So, wish us luck.  Or should I say, wish Hannah luck. lol
Be blessed,
Debbi

2 comments:

Miss Val's Creations said...

Good luck to Hannah. How interesting that home schooling varies in different states. That is awesome that the kids have to go through the national testing in NC!

Melissa said...

Amen to your bathing suit rant!

I was at a store recently looking for suits for my three year old and they had one with the sides cut out, to bare the midriff. WHA?!

Popping over from the EBT...good luck to Hannah!

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016