Thursday, August 14, 2014

Keeping Up Family Traditions


Remember the old days?  Cooking and canning to provide fresh and healthy food to your family?  I do, I remember learning to can vegetables and bake bread from my Aunt Barb on the farm when I was just a kid in the 70's.  No, that's not me above...


...that's my Hannah yesterday afternoon.  Learning a family tradition.



Just look at that knife fly....good enough for The Food Network, don't you think?
She wasn't really enthused about this, but I told her that if she wanted Kosher Dill (her favorite) instead of Bread and Butter (my favorite) than she better help. :0)



Now to let them sit and pickle.  Yum yum.  And because I forgot to share my effort from last week...


....I'll be ready for all the butternut squash casserole my family can eat this coming winter.  (I also canned 8 quarts of tomatoes but I forgot to take pictures.  Don't worry, I have more tomatoes on the vine just waiting for me.)

So how about you?  Do you bake or can? 
Where did you learn your culinary skills?

Be blessed,
Debbi

5 comments:

Miss Val's Creations said...

I'd love to do this! I've never canned or pickled anything. My parents had a huge garden when I was a kid. We grew fruits and veggies. Some things we froze fresh for use later. With 2 apples trees, we used to make applesauce and freeze it. So delicious!

Your Invisible Crown said...

Hooray for family traditions! Must be fun hanging out in the kitchen together. My mom doesn't like to cook, so most things I know, I've got from tv or books.

myeuropeantouch said...

My Mom used to do all these things out of necessity, WWII ended, no one had anything you starting growing your own and canned. I am a really good cook, but didn't pick up the canning....looks like a lot of fun....
hugs, Monika

2justByou said...

You're so lucky to have a family tradition like this. I've never canned anything before, and I'm a little scared to even try (although I've pinned a few good DIYs). Tell Hannah she's lucky! Some people (like me) could only hope to try it out and do well. She's got a great teacher to learn from. =0)

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

How great that you still do this. I grew up helping with the garden bounty. My mother did the actual canning, but I helped break up green beans, shell lima beans and October beans, and freeze corn (after cutting it off the cob). Yum. I miss all that good garden produce. It's hard work, but so worth it!

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016