Wednesday, June 10, 2015

YBC Book Review - The Marauders by Tom Cooper



I like to read, and I like music, and I love most genres (except horror...and rap).  So while most of my reading is faith based, I do enjoy trying new things,   That's why I picked "The Marauders" by Tom Cooper.  Boy, was that a mistake. :0(

Here's what I read about the book and why I ordered it...

"When the BP oil spill devastates the Gulf coast, those who made a living by shrimping find themselves in dire straits. For the oddballs and lowlifes who inhabit the sleepy, working class bayou town of Jeannette,  these desperate circumstances serve as the catalyst that pushes them to enact whatever risky schemes they can dream up to reverse their fortunes. At the center of it all is Gus Lindquist, a pill-addicted, one armed treasure hunter obsessed with finding the lost treasure of pirate Jean Lafitte. His quest brings him into contact with a wide array of memorable characters, ranging from a couple of small time criminal potheads prone to hysterical banter, to the smooth-talking Oil company middleman out to bamboozle his own mother, to some drug smuggling psychopath twins, to a young man estranged from his father since his mother died in Hurricane Katrina. As the story progresses, these characters find themselves on a collision course with each other, and as the tension and action ramp up, it becomes clear that not all of them will survive these events."

And what I got was....more cuss words and un-funny situations then you would find on an active navel vessel!  Seriously...it was that bad.  I was only able to get through the first four chapters, and still looking for anything even remotely funny.  Nothing.  And with EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER using toilet vocabulary in EVERY SINGLE SENTENCE....well, all I could do was close the book and move on to another one.  I tried several times to read this book, and I even skimmed through the middle and the end, but it was still the same...f*** this and f*** that...ugh.

While I am a faithful child of God, I am certainly not a prude, this book was just distasteful.  As a writer myself, I totally understand creating and filling out characters and settings and maybe needing a word or two for gritty effect, but the excessive use of this language was simply laziness on the part of Tom Cooper.  The story line may have gotten better, but the repeated use of simple cuss phrases took away any interest in the story.  I have spent time in Louisiana, and have meet kind and funny people, who had a better grasp on the use of the English language.  The people of Louisiana should be insulted to be portrayed this way!

And to close up this review, let me just say that while I usually keep or give away the books I receive for my reviews, this one I burned.  I don't have any enemies that I dislike enough to share this book with them. lol

Have you ever read, or tried to read, a book that just was not worth your time?
Be blessed,
Debbi

 "I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review."

2 comments:

The Fabulous Journey said...

Thanks for joining us on Oh My Heartsie Girl Wordless Wednesday!

Shellie
www.thefabjourney.com

Miss Val's Creations said...

The foul language would bother me too! In moderation it can be funny. When it is constant, it has the opposite effect.

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016