Tuesday, August 28, 2012

when the kids are away.....

....mom and dad will play!  Yesterday was the first day of school, and Chuck and I had planned a day of bike riding and antiquing,  because this is what happens when Chuck gets the bike out when the kids are here.   Yes, Owen has his very own helmet, and loves taking a little spin, (don't worry, it's a very little spin around the house).  So, as you can see, Mom (me) never gets a ride from the beginning of June till the end of August.  Yesterday, Owen came over to play, so today was OUR DAY, and that back seat was mine, baby!  So after prayer meeting, we did what we love best; went out to eat, and then antiquing.  There are several local antique shops that we visit quite frequently.  Today we visited Benny at Treasure Cove Antiques in Taylorsville, North Carolina.
You never know what you will find there, from one visit to the next.  And that is the fun of antiquing.  For example, this really cool pop-corn machine!  It stands about 4 feet high, and it still has pop-corn in it! (ummm, yuck).
And then there was this very awesome view finder from my grandmothers era, sitting next to the view finder from my era.  Hey, wait, my era???  An antique??? Oh my, hahaha.
But keep your hands off grammas view finder, that's mine next pay day. :-)

Have you ever noticed how a sound, smell, or sight, can transport you back in time?  That's what these items did for me.  This lamp looked exactly like the one my mother-in-law had sitting on an antique dry sink in front of her living room window.  I always worried about my kids breaking it, but they never did.  I wonder if she still has it.  And when I was just a little girl in the early 60's, my Dad was a tv repairman.  We not only had one of the first tv's on the block, we had 2.  My older sisters had a swivel television in their room, and no I was not allowed in to watch it.  :'-(

Every seller knows, display is everything.  The Treasure Cove is a collection of independent sellers, and you can always tell the sellers that care, from the sellers that don't, by the attention to detail.  When I remodel my kitchen, I plan to get rid of my cabinets and just fill the room with these old cupboards.  The china and knick-knacks look great on them.  And this Shabby Chic section was just lovely.  The lighting, the set up, it just drew me in, even though there is nothing in my house even close to being shabby chic.  That's a great display.

Now for fun, in the back room, we found this rickshaw.  Remember, we are at The Treasure Cove in tiny Taylorsville, NC.  Who in Taylorsville had a rickshaw???  LOL.  See you never know what you will find here, so if you're in the area, stop by.  And tell Benny we said "hey".  You'll like him, we do.
 
Oh, and this is also the place where we first met "the blue lady".
 
Be blessed,
Debbi


6 comments:

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

That looks like a great antique shop. So fun to see all the stuff. I find stuff from my era in the stores, too!

Pamela Bates said...

that pop corn maker is the bomb! i love that you have fight the gk's for space on the back of the bike!!! and yay for you guys getting a day out.

Angela said...

sounds like some fun adventures. i can spend hours in an antique shop! i want to plan a day where i visit shops all day long.

thanks for visiting my blog!

Miss Val's Creations said...

What a perfect way to spend back to school day! Antiquing is so much fun. My dad has one of those super old view finders from his youth. I had the plastic red one with Tom & Jerry, Disney, etc inserts! Those would be fun to show kids these days.

Unknown said...

Miss Val...you are so right. I plan to go back and get both of them. Lately I've been collecting Fisher Price toys, but they Owen plays with them. Oh to still have all the toys from when my kids were little, I wouldn't have to search for them now. lol.
Angela...you should take a day. Around here the antique shops have a map titled "sunday drives" and lists where all the antique shops are, we keep one in the van and in the bike for reference.
Sweet and Pam...thanks for visiting and commenting. I feel like I "know" you two. lol
Debbi

Emma said...

That popcorn maker is so cool! And also hilarious that it still has old popcorn inside...

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016