Tuesday, December 4, 2012

my new old suitcase

I looove yard sales, flea markets, estate sales and auctions, because you never know what treasure is hiding there waiting to be discovered.  Look what I discovered at our church's last yard sale.
 
The moment I saw this suitcase, (on a Wednesday) I fell in love with it.  So much that I had to hide it until the sale on Saturday.  Hubby just laughed at me, he's used to my eclectic tastes.  Which mostly means that nothing in my decor actually matches. LOL.
It's like a hard cardboard (not plastic and not wood) with that clear plastic handle.  The locks still work too.  So I brought it home then had to decide how to show it off.
I though I would keep it on this hat dresser that I scored at an estate auction down the street a few years ago.  (Hubby knew he was in trouble when I called him and told him to bring down the truck).  I even thought I would use it to showcase the vintage doilies that I inherited from my grandmother.  But I wasn't crazy about how it looked.
 
This is where I decided to keep my new case.  Tilted on the side.  I like it.  And Owen likes that fact that now my vintage Fisher Price garage is eye level and ready for play time.  Hmmmm, I wonder where I ever put my small vintage carry on case that I got from my great-uncle Pete?  It would look great here too.  So, what family heirlooms or vintage items do you show off in your home?
Be blessed,
Debbi

13 comments:

sarah said...

I used to have that garage. I loved it so much as a kid; I should try and find one for my kids.

The suitcase looks nice!

Recovered Fundie said...

My cousin and I played for hours with Fisher Price toys. That garage brought back some happy memories. I would put that carry on case at an angle in front of the suitcase if there's room. Love the hat dresser. I have a treadle sewing machine that is more than a century old that my neighbor used up until the time she died about 10 years ago. I bought it at her estate sale. I love it. ;0)

Lisa

2justByou said...

The new old suitcase looks brilliant tilted like that! Love it.
The vintage Fisher Price garage does look good there too (perfect for Owen!). I bet he has a great time with that.
~Kim
http://2justByou.blogspot.com

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

Neat. I am trying to decide what to do with a whole set of vintage Samsonite my mother is getting rid of.

Pamela Bates said...

oh man, way too cute!

must love junk said...

I love your suitcase, too! I have a huge pile of them, I love them so much! :)
Susan

Karen and Dakota said...

Great idea, and you can use it for storage. Love it

Unknown said...

oh, if only I had kept all my toys, or even my kids toys, I would be saving tons of money today. LOL
Debbi

Unknown said...

I have a treadle sewing machine also...it holds my other small fisher price toys. :0)
Debbi

Unknown said...

Owen is the ONLY other person allowed to touch my vintage toys. hahaha.

Unknown said...

thanks everyone for the comments!

Unknown said...

Cool suitcase, but I LOVE the dresser!

Unknown said...

I got that dresser at an estate auction down the street from my house. I had one just like it growing up (it was my great-uncles) but it fell apart after repeated moves. When I saw this, I called hubby and told him to bring down the truck. lol
Debbi

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016