Thursday, May 9, 2013

Lakewood Park

Every time I take my foster son into town to see his therapist, he asks to go to the park.  Well, yesterday we were early for his appointment, so we stopped at the park by the hospital.  It was sunny (but still a little wet) and the park was beautiful.  We had never been there before, there were the obligatory shelters for picnics, and lots of walking trails through the trees, but my son's favorite part was the pond/lake.  (too big to be called a pond, but not quite a lake).  Wooden bridges took us over the creek feeding into the pond, and then we saw them...the ducks.  And then the geese.  And a turtle, but he ducked under the water before I could take his picture.  Maybe he was in the turtle witness protection program. :0)

The geese above were certainly not shy, they followed us all around the pond, probably looking for us to feed them since it was lunch time.  Then I saw these funny looking ducks.  I have never seen ducks like these, and I was worried they would take off before I got a good look at them, but when they saw me walking on the grass towards them, they came over to meet me.  These pictures were taken with my phone, so they aren't the best, but the colors on these ducks were really cool.  A white spotted chest, a bright red mask around the eyes, and the tips of the wings and the tail feathers were an iridescent greenish purple, very hard to describe.



Here's the male...he was being difficult about posing for me.  Apparently I arrived during his bath time. LOL.  And see that goose in the back ground?  That's the same one from the first picture.  I told you, he was stalking me! hahaha




Then came the babies.  There were 2 separate groups of ducklings, one group swam the other way when I walked up to the pond, but I watched these ones (a little older) swim all the way down from the other end of the pond to see what all the fuss was. They were so cute, and my foster son wanted to try and hold one so bad, I started to worry he would fall into the pond with them.  I finally got him to step back from the edge before we both ended up swimming with the ducks.


The last to join our group were the adult mallards.  After about 10 minutes, when all these wonderful birds realized that I had no food, they left.  Just quacked, turn around, wiggled their tail feathers, and just left.  

But it was nice while it lasted.

The moral of this story?  We all need to take just 10 minutes from our busy days to step back, and really look at the wonderful world around us.  I'm glad we did.  Oh, and yeah, we ended up late to our appointment. ((smile))

Be blessed,
Debbi

17 comments:

Your Invisible Crown said...

I love taking small walks (we have a very small park) on sundays. And the ducklings look all cute and fluffy!

Miss Val's Creations said...

What a perfect break in the day. I have never seen white chested duck before either. How odd! I always love the iridescence of duck feather. Nature is amazing! I don't think the wild ducks would appreciate your foster son trying to pick one up. LOL This is a memory he will always cherish.

Christie Cottage said...

What a wonderful thing to do... stopping by the park. I just came in from the front porch. It's raining, but everything is so green and beautiful!

Have a wonderful day!

<><

Thunder Rose said...

Very nice! They are so pretty ! I agree it is so important to take a step back and enjoy life. Makes for a better day!
Blessings!

Abby / Linda said...

I was just driving in the parking lot of the market this week, and say a Canadian goose family! There is a waterway on the edge of the parking lot and there was a mom and day goose and about ten goslings walking down the pavement to the water! Awesome!

Trina Prenzi said...

Sounds like a great time at the park! Thanks for sharing your pictures and your story... I love the moral of the story too! You are so correct... We do need to take time to stop and enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I would say you had a wonderful time with your son and that pond visit was probably more therapeutic than the therapist.

Unknown said...

I am so glad the weather is getting better so we all can take more walks. the ducklings were cute! thank you for taking the time to comment. :0)
Debbi

Unknown said...

that duck was wild looking...the photos don't even come close to showing the colors. and we have ducks at home that I can pick up and carry around, so B just thought "why not here too?" lol
debbi

Unknown said...

Thank you Christie...I am a little tired of the rain, but you're right..everything is getting so lush and green.
Debbi

Unknown said...

I get so caught up with my business that I forget the little things in life that make me smile. Thank you for taking your time to comment. ((hugs))
Debbi

Unknown said...

what a cool discovery! bet it made the shopping trip a bit more fun that day. :0)
Debbi

Unknown said...

I just checked out your profile...3 BLOGS? I have trouble keeping up with 1. hahaha

Unknown said...

thank you for stopping by Trina. I did enjoy that park. I always like discovering new places, at least new to me. :0)
Debbi

Unknown said...

oh Pam, you are right. I know it did me a world of good. I have been too busy obsessing over...well, you know. :0)
Debbi

Anna Urquhart said...

It's so true, Debbi, we all need 10 minutes to really SEE the beauty around us. And I bet these ducks made being late worth it. I loved the pictures--I LOVE ducks! Thanks!

myeuropeantouch said...

"wadddlin " in late but its' so cute.....

Copyright Protection and Terms of Use

All photos displayed on this blog are protected by copyright and may not be displayed without prior consent of their creators. If you wish to obtain consent, please do so by contacting the owner in the photo link. Any photos, materials, or text which does not have a link are the copyright of the owner of this blog and consent for use may be requested by contacting us at admin@yankeeburrowcreations.com



All content copyright @ yankeeburrowcreations 2010-2016